*****

*****
This is the story of my journey to bring Willow home from Guatemala. I am now mom to two daughters: Lily (5) who was born in China and Willow (2).

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

PGN not releasing files

This sign is posted on the PGN window where attorneys go to collect files once they have been approved and released. It's basically saying that they are not releasing any files at this time regardless of approval. There are several issues going on right now that may or may not be causing this:
  1. Four Guatemalan women are on a hunger strike on the steps of the National Palace of Culture in Guatemala city. You can read the article in English at http://guatadopt.com/discussions/index.php?topic=6611.0 . They assure officials that their babies were stolen in 2006 and they have reason to believe they were given up for adoption. They want all files from 2006-present looked through to help find their babies.
  2. The new Attorney General wants to clean up corruption within PGN and the attorneys who have corrupted the system. They are calling for a complete audit of all files currently in PGN to find irregularities and prosecute those who have broken the law.

I feel calm! If a few more months without my baby home assures me and Willow forever that her relinquishment and adoption were completed with love and integrity, that is a price I can not afford to resent. My hope is that the new people in authority in Guatemala have the wisdom to prosecute the offenders quickly so that the rest of the cases can begin to move again.

I believe my attorney should receive my letter either late this week or early next week and I will be ready to re-enter PGN at that time. They are accepting files - just not releasing them.

Willow's birth mother has been interviewed twice already, assuring officials that she willingly gave up this baby. One DNA test has been completed and another will be performed before I bring Willow home. There is little doubt that my own case is squeaky clean, but I would never, ever want to rush through at another mother's loss!