*****

*****
This is the story of my journey to bring Willow home from Guatemala. I am now mom to two daughters: Lily (5) who was born in China and Willow (2).

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

First Night together

Willow slept great. She woke up after my last post, but only for about an hour. She had a bottle like they told me to do, and it put her to sleep. A couple times she sat up in the night, but when I rubbed her back she layed right back down. I don't even know if she woke up. She's still sleeping. Can anyone believe that she didn't wake up screaming and looking for them? I can't.
Once, right before she fell asleep she looked over and saw her special bunny from Veronica's house. I was nervous it would make her cry. She grabbed it in a bear hug and smiled this GIANT smile she has, and put it on her pillow next to her. They said that she likes to play with Veronica's hair as she's falling asleep, which I forgot about until she started pulling my hair in the dark.

I was very worried about how frustrating language would be for her. After she ate her cheese last night I gave her a wet-wipe. She washed her fingers and threw the wipe on her little pile of stuff. I teasingly said "what are you doing with that wipe?" She picked it up and handed it to me. She totally "gets" that teasing voice. When our heads bumped while coloring, I did that "OW - you bonked my head" teasing and she cracked up. She knows how to point and lead us over by the hand to get what she wants - which she did with Sandra and Veronica too. I'm not so worried about language. While we were coloring, I would say "eye" every time I colored an animals eye and right away she pointed to her eye and my eye and said "eye". We'll be fine.

I emailed Sandra last night to tell her how it went. She said when they got home the house was quiet and sad. She told me if Willow looks for Veronica today, that it might help to let her climb the stairs and take her outside.

Before they left yesterday they told me Willow has not been around air conditioning, so I should be careful not to let her get cold in the hotel. Also that on Wed. morning when we go to the embassy it will help Willow if I bring her special blanket they gave us to cover her up. I forgot to mention last night that they gave me a letter for Willow from each of the family members. And Shirley, I didn't explain yesterday, is Veronica's teenage daughter. I think she cried the hardest. They also left a couple hats for Willow - they said she loves hats and lipstick. Her favorite shoes are jelly shoes, but she hates to go without socks. She loves to clean - how could I forget to mention that 'til now!? Lily is a cleaning maniac. They said whenever Veronica would get out the broom or wash something, Willow would insist on helping. They brought a little purse for Lily and matching Guatemalan dolls for Lily and Willow.

Willow is still sleeping. Grammy went for coffee. Here's hoping today goes well. Thanks for all the well wishes!