*****

*****
This is the story of my journey to bring Willow home from Guatemala. I am now mom to two daughters: Lily (5) who was born in China and Willow (2).

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Pictures

Sandra is holding Willow, Veronica is the foster mother (sitting next to them). Willow calls (called I guess) Veronica mama and Sandra Ti Ti. When she woke up with us all there, she was really crabby, but warmed up in about an hour. This is how we spent our first hour with Willow after the foster family left -coloring and playing with balloons they left for her. She didn't start screaming 'til after about an hour.




When I wrote last, Willow was still sleeping. She woke up this morning laughing. Not just happy - LAUGHING. Veronica and Sandra left these P.Js because they said she loves them. When she woke up I was on my computer across the room and she just sat up smiling at me. I went and layed by her and she was just silly and giggly. Grammy brought her these sunglasses.

Willow and I spent about an hour in the baby room in the hotel this morning. Yaya sent her this Backyardigan, and Willow had a blast covering it up and saying "ni ni", pushing it around in the stroller, and sitting it on the little chair at the table. She held it tonight while we watched the Backyardigans in bed and she's sleeping with it tonight. Cute!When we went swimming, it took about 5 minutes for Willow to want to get off my lap in the shallow sitting area, and then she played with stacking cups the rest of the time. Pouring, sorting, organizing, stacking, throwing water, pouring water on grammy and I, etc. She had a blast and never once was sad or asking for her other mama. I got sunburnt. Dang. It gets to about 80 in the afternoon, but mornings are around 50-60 degrees. Sandra emailed me this afternoon to remind me that it's cool in the morning and Willow might need a hat for our early morning embassy appointment tomorrow.


After the pool time, we found the perfect restaurant - mariachi band, yummy tacos/fajitas, and not too far from the hotel. Willow was crabby - it's so hard to know if she's sad because of the adjustment stress, tired, hungry, or something else. It seems that they didn't feed her meals - she just snacked all day. They were giving her a bottle of formula every 3 hours! Sandra and I have emailed several times since I got Willow and that was one of the things she mentioned in an email. So tonight, I ordered Willow a cheese quesedilla, rice and chips. She didn't eat anything, but grabbed a couple chips as we were leaving. Then I offered her a piece of the bread they left for her and she ate the whole thing in her stroller as we walked. She had two bottles tonight before bed and I just can't deal with that whole eating situation until we're home and she's more adjusted. It is driving me crazy, but we're in survival mode for a while.
She loves the bread so much, I asked one of the store clerks near our hotel where we can find bread like it and she showed us an incredible bakery just around the corner.
Willow doesn't want much to do with grammy today, which we were both sort of relieved about. Last night she was so upset she'd reach for each of us - whoever didn't have her. She was inconsolable. We let her do anything to try to comfort her, but it makes us wonder how this morning she knew I am mom. When my mom offered a crayon or snack this morning, she'd shake her head no. When my mom would set it down near her (ignoring Willow's answer!), Willow'd grab it and chuck it across the room or over her shoulder. Hilarious.
Tonight she was exhausted. We played on the bed for a couple hours with her favorite cartoons on the TV. When I'd get up for any reason, she'd holler at me and pat the bed. Not cry -just holler. When mom turned the TV channel, Willow sat straight up and hollered at her. Then mom put it on mute to see if Willow was really even paying attention to the show (WHY? WHY?) and Willow did the same thing - hollering at her, looking her dead in the eye. She does have a hot little temper, but she's SUPER loving. She gives us bites of her snacks, and hands us toys and crayons. If we try to hand her food or a drink she shakes her head no. If we set it by her without asking, she'll grab it and enjoy.
Good night from Guatemala, everyone!