*****

*****
This is the story of my journey to bring Willow home from Guatemala. I am now mom to two daughters: Lily (5) who was born in China and Willow (2).

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Horton Hears A Who

We've been reading Horton Hears a Who. When Lily found Willow playing with the rocks from my water bubbler, Lily started bringing them near the stairs to make little nests of "eggs". Willow follows and imitates whatever Lily does:Sit very carefully because it's not comfortable:


Then they started bringing the rocks back where they started from as quickly as possible:Whoever grabs the most, the fastest WINS:All done with mine!
And then it would start over from the beginning. This went on for about an hour while I cleaned up the kitchen after dinner. This is why, in many ways, it's easier have two kids than one. When Lily was Willow's age, she'd be under my feet while I cleaned up the kitchen (usually crying for me to hold her). And for as difficult as Willow's personality can be, the advantage to her strength is that she's always entertaining herself with games and toys. As I type she's cramming as much stuff as possible into the little toy microwave Lily got from Beamer for Christmas. This could go on for a very long time!

Here are some major accomplishments of the week:


  • Willow's foster family sent a toothbrush with her (a cute little Barbie one for toddlers). From day one she loved playing with the toothbrush while I brushed Lily's teeth, but she never wanted to let me brush them for her. I didn't push issue until last weekend when I felt like we were ready for another challenge. She screamed bloody murder, despite the fact that she'd seen me brush Lily's teeth before I handed the toothbrush over to Lily for over 2 weeks. I held her arms down for about 4 mornings/nights in a row brushing her teeth while she screamed and then handed her the toothbrush. The first time, she held it behind her back and shook her finger at me saying "NO! NO! NO!" Then she threw the toothbrush - she was too mad to enjoy it. The second time she brushed her own teeth after I was done. Last night, are you ready for this? She stood on her stool and opened her mouth for me! Quietly. When I was done, I handed the tooth brush and she was totally fine - like this is how it's always been or something. This morning I held my breath wondering if last night was just a one-time thing... she opened that yap quietly again and let me brush again!



  • Willow's gone to bed happily every night for a week. She lays back and touches one cheek (for a kiss),then the other cheek, then her mouth. I kiss her as instructed (and more!) and then she sleeps through the night. For a week straight. I keep hoping this lasts, but I'm still not taking it for granted. I emailed Sandra about her pointing to her cheeks for kisses because I didn't teach her that, so I knew they had. Sandra said that is only how Veronica kissed her, but that was their ritual every night at bed time. It's interesting that Willow only started doing this two nights ago. Sweet.



  • In the middle of this blog update I went up to give Willow her bath, which you may remember is not fun for any of us. Lily usually hides in my shower because she wants to be near us, but can't stand the sound of Willow screaming. Tonight - Willow finally didn't cry when I layed her down in the water. And when her hair and bod were clean, she actually reached for a toy! After a few mintues, Lily peeked out of the shower to see what was happening and ended up playing in the tub with her sister for about half an hour.




She stayed in long enough for her hands and feet to pucker:

  • Willow went to the doctor yesterday and had three shots, the TB skin test thing, and a blood draw. She's in the 6th percentile for height and 24th for weight. The doctor encouraged me to start giving Willow the gummy vitamins Lily gets (I thought Willow had too few molars for this) and to stop giving her milk in her bottle before bed. I was going to procrastinate that switch considering everything else Willow has lost in such a short time, but tonight I filled it up with water and told her what I was doing. I was just going to try it and if she hated the switch I'd reconsider. She watched me fill it and warm it up (ewww) and she didn't complain at all. We lay in her bed reading stories while she drinks her bottle and tonight was no different - except that she was drinking water. When we read Good Night Moon she can point to the moon, the stars, the bunny, mouse, kittens, and lady saying "hush". She's learned so very much in SUCH a short time. She can also point to her eye, nose, heart and button when I ask. I'm amazed.

  • This afternoon she went looking for Lily and when Lily came in the kitchen after hearing Willow call for her, Willow stuck that pointer finger in Lily's belly, grinning ear to ear at me, and then wrapped her arms around Lily in a big bear hug. Lily goes "Mom! That was our first hug!"