*****

*****
This is the story of my journey to bring Willow home from Guatemala. I am now mom to two daughters: Lily (5) who was born in China and Willow (2).

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Happy Days are Here Again

Sandra calls us the Three King Chicas in her emails. They miss Pili terribly. They haven't unpacked her trunk of toys. Sandra saved one of the photos I sent on her cell phone and kisses it every night and says a prayer that Pili is the daughter I hoped for all those 2 years of waiting. She is! This picture took my mom about 30 minutes to get - she was prowling all through the house trying to sneak up on Willow and getting the picture before Willow covered her face. Willow had a few sad days - and Monday was the worst. She cried from the time she woke up from her nap 'til bed time. I'm wondering if she dreamed of Sandra and Veronica. Lily and I played 3 rounds of Candy Land, offering Willow game pieces and cards and she just cried on my lap the entire time. Lily had swimming lessons that day, and Willow sat listlessly on my lap with her head on my shoulder. Then I blew up balloons before bed because that is Willow's very favorite thing, but she just sat on my lap while Lily ran around the room volleying balloons back and forth to me. She bit Lily on the hand on Sunday, which put me at an all-time LOW. Lily was sitting on my lap and Willow didn't like it so she tried to get her face cheek to cheek with me, which Lily didn't like. Lily put her hand in between Willow's cheek and mine and Willow bit her hard. I told her "NO!" and held Lily, kissing her owie and ignoring Willow for about 3 minutes. I have taught Lily how to push Willow away and yell "SHE'S BITING ME!" if it happens again. This time it was right in my face, but next to my face, and I didn't know it was happening.

Lily hides behind the curtains and Willow loves to try to find her. They both squeel and shriek every time. These are the sounds I'd been waiting to hear! (Notice Lila's doll feet on Lily's lap).


Tuesday Willow woke up happy, after sleeping all night and going to bed without crying a single tear. We went to visit my aunt and uncle Jo and Rick and Willow was happy the entire visit. She had a nap that afternoon (on me per the terms of the agreement we have mutually struck), and was happy that evening too.


Wednesday my parents came to babysit Willow so Lily and I could go to a movie - just the "big girls". We had popcorn and M&Ms for dinner and Lily was in heaven watching Hotel for Dogs at the cheap theater. Willow was not in heaven. She screamed for one hour, slept on my mom for one hour, and then we were home. I thought we might experience a 1-2 day set-back after leaving her, but not at all! She was off my lap in about 15 minutes running through the house chasing Lily and being tickeled by grammy and papa. I'm hoping what she learned is that I will always come back. She'll have to be babysat again this Sunday while I direct choir at church, and I'm hoping it goes a little better.

I haven't gotten this lucky for a while. Now, almost every time I try to sneak out from under Ms. Willow she busts me. Some days it's like heaven being forced to lie around for 2 hours. Other days it's like torture. Don't they look sweet?!